Church of the Transfiguration of Freeport
S. Long Beach Avenue & Pine Street Freeport, New York 11520
Rev. Dr. Raymond G. Wilson, Rector
In 1892 Episcopalians met at Raynor’s Hall, Merrick Road near Main Street, Freeport, NY to decide whether or not they should organize. The decision to organize lead to the formation of the Church of the Transfiguration, which held its first real service, October 16, 1892.
The first service was held in Van Riper’s Hall on the west side of Main Street near where Sunrise Highway runs through today.
Women played an important role from the church’s inception, and have continued to play an important role in the life of the church. The St. Margaret’s Guild was organized- later to be reorganized in December 1893 as the Guild of the Transfiguration. This Guild raised funds and paid the sum of $100 for a Mission Site, purchased from the Freeport Land Company- 150 feet on South Long Beach Avenue and 140 feet on Pine Street.
Randall and Miller built a House of Worship for $3500, completing it in July 1894. Transfiguration’s first parish house was completed in 1924 and on December 24, 1951, “Christmas Eve” the first service in the new and present church was held. The building which is currently known as the Education Building was opened on May 23, 1964 and dedicated by the Rt. Reverend Jonathan G. Sherman, Suffragan Bishop of Long Island.
Today, Episcopal Church Women (ECW), continue to play a vital role in the life of our parish and the church. The ECW is an active ministry supporting our spiritual life and growth. Since our Centennial celebration in 1992 the ECW has promoted fellowship activities through annual trips to far off places such as, Niagara Falls, Portland, ME and Nova Scotia, Lake George, Myrtle Beach, SC, Washington, DC, New Orleans, Montreal and most notably in 2001 a group of parishioners made a pilgrimage to Israel and Rome organized by the ECW.
In 1912 the original mission church became a self-supporting parish and was officially incorporated as “The Church of the Transfiguration of Freeport”.
In 1924 the first Parish House, a wooden structure was completed. On Sunday, October 15, 1950 ground was broken for a "Memorial Church". On December 24, 1951, Christmas Eve, the first service in the new and present church was held.
A ground-breaking ceremony for the new Parish House and Education Building took place on June 2, 1963 and the following year, May 23, 1964 the building was completed and dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Jonathan G. Sherman, Suffragan Bishop of Long Island.
Memorials including the following are still present in the church:
A lovely white marble Altar given in 1897 and extended in 1951;
Beautiful stained glass windows;
The Baptismal Font and Tapestry;
The Reredos at the main Altar (in memory of our longest serving Rector, the Reverend Dr.
Reginald Heber Scott)
The lovely Chapel Altar (St. Paul's Chapel) and the Chapel of St. Francis of Assisi (The Children Chapel) in the Education Building.
The Westminster Chimes.
A columbarium and the Crypt Chapel of our Lady
The new Schantz pipe organ was dedicated on October 16, 2005.